When there is winter storm weather/freezing rain/significant snow expected for Hamilton, staff monitor impacts to service and keep residents updated through local media, website and through @cityofhamilton.
There is also a call for volunteers to shovel snow in the community through the Snow Angels Program – please email email@example.com to see if there is anyone in your neighbourhood needing help with snow removal. An excellent opportunity for High school students to earn volunteer hours for graduation.
A few Important reminders:
– Keep furbabies safe indoors when the weather gets bad and temperatures drop. Do not leave them in vehicles as they act as refrigerators in the winter, keeping the cold in.
– Please clear your sidewalk – it is difficult for many of us to navigate snow covered routes, especially our seniors and those with small children.
– If you are able, please move parked vehicles of the street to assist snow plows and give them lots of space
– Ensure the area around fire hydrants are clear for quick access and easy location by firefighters in emergencies
– It is best to not warm up a car or a snow blower by letting the engine run in an attached garage, as that can cause carbon monoxide levels to build up and eventually seep into the home.