A Whistleblower/Fraud and Waste hotline has been launched for everyone to be able to report suspected fraud, waste or wrong doing involving taxpayer’s money and city resources, which was moved by myself and unanimously supported. It is a confidential and anonymous service available 24/7, and is independently operated by a third party.
Fraud & Waste can mean any kind of activity that could be deemed illegal, dishonest, wasteful or a deliberate violation of City… policy, or that contravenes direction by Council. Waste also includes mismanagement of City resources or assets in a willful, intentional or negligent manner. This is a very important initiative and I encourage everyone to Speak UP by visiting the fraud website below if you see any such activity.
How to Report
- Toll-free #: 1-888-390-0393
- Online: www.hamilton.ca/fraud
- Mail: PO box info – PO Box 91880, West Vancouver, BC V7V 4S4
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax #: 1-604-926-5668
What to Report: Any fraud or waste related activities by City employees or contractors hired by the City. Examples:
- Forgery, alteration of documents
- Misrepresentation of information
- Misappropriation, unauthorized use, disappearance, destruction of assets
- Authorizing payment for goods/services not received
- Improper handling of money, false claims
- Violations of Code of Conduct
- Purchase of unneeded supplies or equipment
- Purchase of goods at inflated prices
- Using vendors for services that can be done in-house
- Making procurement or vendor selections that are contrary to existing policies or unnecessarily extravagant
- Abuse of authority or position for personal financial interests
Reports should be made in good faith, refer to a specific incident and must, to the extent possible, include details such as: “who, what, when and where.” Please provide as much detail as possible, as anonymous reports can only be acted upon if sufficient information is provided to carry out a complete investigation.
Learn more about the Fraud & Waste Hotline www.hamilton.ca/fraud.