The 2021 budget has been tentatively approved by Council, to be ratified at the end of March. With the devastating impact of COVID-19 and starting out around a 4.6% tax increase, Council, working with staff was able to whittle it down to 1.8% for Waterdown/Flamborough Ward 15 residents and 2.2% for the broader Hamilton.
There are often concerns and comments voiced about how much taxes are in Waterdown, Carlisle, Flamborough and yes we pay high taxes. Many referencing garbage collection, snow plowing, roads as the only tax benefits. In addition to our Fire Fighters, Police, Paramedics, Public Health and all other department staff, the budget has continued to provide maintenance and support for many more important services throughout the city and in Waterdown/Flamborough. A few include:
- Park improvements and maintenance for local parks such Memorial Park, Joe Sams, Courtcliffe Park, Millgrove Community Park and approximately 13 other neighbourhood parks in Waterdown/Flamborough.
- Maintenance of all cemeteries including burials and beautiful waterfall parks of which we have many.
- Public Libraries in Flamborough
- Our Memorial Halls
- Hamilton and Halton Conservation Authorities, waterfront trails, etc
- Recreation Centres, municipal buildings, arenas, tennis courts, skateparks, walking trails and more
Not to mention roads, sidewalks, street lights, stop lights, ditches, culvert replacements and on and on. For further drill-down into more than 100+services your taxes go to: https://bit.ly/389xwxP
One important project that has also continued throughout COVID, is that approximately $70 million is being invested into the construction of the Waterdown North Corridor East West and Waterdown Road North South Bypass and upgrades to Parkside Drive. Construction is underway and will continue.
Few people like to pay taxes however yours and my taxes allows all of us to enjoy a quality life, living in our beautiful communities of Waterdown/Flamborough within the city of Hamilton. There are not many other communities like ours anywhere, and I feel very blessed to live here. I hope you do as well.