Staff have begun to reopen some arenas following Public Health guidelines at a cautious pace – including Harry Howell Arena.
Many precautions are being implemented, and the procedures along with the provincial gathering limits have resulted in the reduction of available ice opportunities. At the present time, staff are focusing on providing our seasonal affiliated ice users access to the limited ice hours. Public programming and additional ad-hoc rentals including adult groups will be introduced at a later date when the availability of ice slots increases.
For hockey related activity, staff are following the Ontario Hockey Federation as a baseline of what activities are currently permitted. They are currently in stage 3b, which does not focus on game play at this time.
While monitoring the situation, the arenas included in the reopening plans are as follows:
- Harry Howell Twin Pad Arena – OPEN
- Mohawk 4Ice Centre – OPEN
- Chedoke Twin Pad Arena – OPEN
- Morgan Firestone Arena –OPEN
- Rosedale Arena – OPEN
- Inch Park Arena – September 15
- Glanbrook Arena – October 1
- J.L. Grightmire Arena –October 1
- Westoby (Olympic) Arena –October 19
- Valley Park Arena –November 2
- Mountain Skating Centre –November 2
- Dave Andreychuk Arena –November 2
- Bill Friday (Lawfield) Arena –November 2
For more information, please visit https://www.hamilton.ca/sites/default/files/media/browser/2020-07-30/general-sport-phase-3-reopening-guidelines.pdf; additionally, here is a video on what to expect when going to an arena https://youtu.be/mQbHfDximBI
Please keep safe and protect yourselves.
Councillor Judi Partridge