Health authorities across the world are currently closely monitoring the ongoing outbreak caused by a novel (new) Coronavirus first identified in patients with pneumonia in Wuhan, China.
Hamilton Public Health Services (PHS) is taking steps to protect the health and safety of our community by working with our health system partners and Ministry of Health colleagues to ensure Hamilton is prepared to respond to this situation as it evolves. To date, there are no cases of 2019-nCoV in Hamilton and the risk of contracting the novel coronavirus remains low. This is based on current assessments by the Ontario Ministry of Health and the Public Health Agency of Canada.
To help prevent the spread of all types of respiratory illnesses, including influenza, PHS recommends:
- wash your hands often with soap and water;
- avoid close contact with people who are sick;
- cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze; if you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm;
- avoid touching your face, eyes and mouth to prevent illness;
- clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces; and,
- get the flu shot, if you haven’t already done so.
For more information and resources, please click here.